Friday, January 30, 2009

The Book

When I first thought about telling you about the book I mentioned in the previous post I had good intentions of telling you some of what I've learned/changed since reading it, but I didn't because I got onto other things. I thought maybe I'd really bore you, but since Jenni so nicely asked, here are a few things I've gained from this book.
  • Dishes. I clean up the kitchen every night. (there have been a handful of times that it hasn't happened since last May) I used to think that people that had dishwashers had NO reason not to do their dishes everyday. Now I have a dishwasher and I realize that I still do a lot of dishes. I do like my dishwasher, don't get me wrong. :)
  • Never multi task more than 3 things at a time. This includes laundry. I try to remember this, but it's hard.
  • Always finish completely all laundry done in a day. This means folded and put away. I am still struggling with this one.
  • Keep the front 2/3 of your counters cleared off and the back 1/3 only for 1 decorative or useful item. (I think I have that right)
  • I've organized my closet and it has stayed pretty neat for several months now. My biggest problem is the shelf above the clothes rack. I know some 6 ft 8in person decided every closet should have a shelf at that level. In the past the best way for me to put anything up there was to fold it, then stand a foot back and throw it overhand and hope it landed on a pile. Now I simply hang a lot more stuff up. Shoes are still an issue

I know there is so much more, but I'm drawing a blank right now. The book is very easy to read and touches on a lot of different areas of life, even holidays. I don't have the book here with me at Rosedale. Maybe when I get home I'll sit down and give a better overview. I do highly recommend the book. I got some good ideas from her, but it also helped to just get my mind thinking of ways to organize and de-clutter. I'm learning just how much clutter can still "calm" away from a home. Lastly, I hope no one reading this things I've become an organized Martha. I haven't. I'm a long way from it, but I'm starting to take baby steps in the right direction. I know some of you are very organized. If yo have any advice please let me know! :)

2 comments:

  1. Thank you. I think I will buy the book soon. Actually, what struck me more was the previous post on learning/doing. Good word.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes! very good book. I've been reading it thanks to you - right now I'm reading about dealing with stacks of mail/papers. This is a good one for me. I have a good system for dealing with bills (most of the time) but I never get the paper stack COMPLETELY gone through. It drives me crazy. I can't decide what to do with it right then, so I wait and there it sits, piling up. She has some good things to say about that.

    ReplyDelete