I enjoyed watching snow fall today, all day long. It was beautiful. It was also pretty cold. I kept thinking I should take the boys out, but it was so cold I decided not too. Why do decisions like that make me feel like a bad mom?
Today seemed long. I think it's because I knew that with the snow even if I wanted to get out it probably wouldn't happen. I decided to make pancakes for lunch. :) I have to confess that I love pancakes, but for some reason I have the worse time making them. I try so hard to not stir them too much. Then we end up eating hunks of baking soda. Mmm... Or I stir them too much and I end up chasing the batter around the pan so I have individual pancakes instead of one huge pancake. Those always look more like Finish pancakes, which I like, but have never made. Anyway, it's hard to confess such faults as not being able to make pancakes, but there it is. Today I used Hungry Jack's pancake mix. Who can mess that up? Today I blame my faults on the pan. At home I use nonstick skillets and a gas stove. By the last two pancakes they were turning out well. I think I had the heat too high and was turning them too fast. Results: black on the outside, doughy in the middle. The boys and I ate them and no one complained. I gave Jeremy the two (almost) perfect ones since he isn't a big pancake fan. All ended well. Or so I thought until I was cleaning up Nathan after lunch and had to scrub to get dried dough off of his chubby hands. :(
In other news, Isaiah is really become more and more talkative. For the most part this is good and a lot of fun. Sometimes, however, it's hard to know what to do with him. Here's an example:
Isaiah "Mommy, I'm sad because I'm mad at you"
Me "Why are you mad at me?"
Isaiah "Because I don't like you"
How would you have responded? I think it's good for a child to learn to express what he is feeling, but how can we teach him to do it respectfully? By the way, I think I had just told him no or something along that line. For the most part he likes me, I think. Here's another conversation from today:
Isaiah: (to me) "I wish you were a boy"
Me "Why do you want me to be a boy?"
Isaiah: "so you can wear this and this" (pointed to his sunglasses and hooded sweatshirt.) No idea where that came from.
Sorry this is so long. I'm a little bored. Can you tell? :)
Dear Sabrina, I think you need to hear your a wonderful mother, those boys look well taken care of and listened to and a gazillion other things.Was good to hear your heart though,and its ok to blame stove and skillet, for ugly pancakes, mine still aren't always the same,your great and I love reading your blog.
ReplyDeleteTwila H.
Hey, don't feel bad for not taking your kids outside. I sent mine out by themselves today...as usual. Maybe you should invest in an electric griddle. It might solve your pancake problems. I can't make them on the stove either. Don't worry about your kids not liking you. Mine always tell me they wish I would go to work so daddy could stay home with them.
ReplyDeleteTwila -thanks for the encouragement!
ReplyDeleteRobyn, your kids make me laugh. :)
Wish I could see the snow right now, but I think I'd also stay inside where it's warm. So what is it with pancakes? I frequently have pancake problems even if I am using my stove and normal pan. My homemade pancakes never turn out the same twice. Kevin likes pancakes and prefers mixes. We can get Biscuick here, but it's double the price. He figures it's worth it!! We're so desperate for reliable pancakes that we asked for a box of pancake mix from the US; you know the kind that just needs water. -Kristin B.
ReplyDeleteI know not everyone has access to an electric griddle, but I really think that's the key to perfect pancakes. Your heat is spread evenly throughout and doesn't change temp at all.
ReplyDeleteYou know, I'm not really a pancake fan and I'm pretty sure that 99% of the reason is that I can't make good ones. :( We got a griddle for Christmas though and I was really impressed how well it worked! Maybe I'll be a pancake convert yet. :) (Of course, we have absolutely no room to store a griddle... it's stuck in the storage closet with lots of boxes and the vacuum.)
ReplyDeleteWe're leaving EARLY in the morning...pray that we don't hit any big snowstorms!
I can't make them on the stove either, but a nonstick griddle makes all the difference! Love the pictures!
ReplyDeleteSabrina I enjoyed reading all the "pancake" responses.:)
ReplyDeletelike you wrote, I TOO agree that an elecrtic griddle, does make much nicer pancakes. Mine burn quicker on top the stove ! But try not to use more than med heat, may help !
We love the Whole Wheat Buttermilk Pancake recipe in the More with Less Cookbook,(page 73). They turn out really nice with buttermilk. Trying to substitue with sour milk,with vinegar, does not always work as nice !
Another key is to mix all the liquid ingredients together, beating well, with egg beater; set aside. Mix all the dry ingredients together, and with a wire whisk, GENTLY fold the dry into the liquid, only till combined. Do not beat or over work the batter !! Mom's advice, and hints !! :)
yes, to the whole wheat buttermilk pancakes! the same recipe is in the rlmc cookbook (carolyn schantz's recipe) if you have that. keith makes them almost every sat. morning. he uses all whole wheat flour and sometimes throws in a handful of oatmeal. i don't have a griddle, but we use an electric frying pan. probably the same thing as far as heat is concerned, but i use it for so much more than pancakes since it has sides. i'd be lost without it!!! best wishes in your pursuit of yummy pancakes! (saturday is actually called pancake day at our house.)
ReplyDelete