I've cooked whole chickens before, but I often wonder if there is a better way to do it. I can't even tell you how I do it because I don't think it's ever the same. How would you cook a whole (small) chicken? Crock pot? Oven? Spices?
When I cook a whole chicken it is usually Sunday. I rub a little olive oil on it, & put whatever spices I feel like it on. Then I stick it in the oven at 275 & it is YUMMY & falling off the bone when we come home from church.:) ~Ruth
I do the same thing, except bake it at a hotter temp, for a shorter time. Stick a meat thermometer in it before you start baking (they're very inexpensive if you don't have one already). Open your spice cupboard, and rub whatever you want on it. Suggestions are poultry seasoning, garlic powder, seasoning salt, lots of pepper, paprika, maybe some thyme... I like to put potatoes around it and they get so yummy with the chicken juices.
I begin with a pot of boiling water. Once you place the chicken in the water, turn down the temperature just so that it's simmering. I also cook it with onions, carrots and potatoes. I only add salt and pepper, but you can add whatever spices you like. I think parsely would be good too. Once the chicken is to the point where it is falling off the bone, I take it out and eat it with the vegetables. I'll then add some extra thin noodles and enjoy a bowl of soup afterwards. Also with the left overs from the chicken you can add back into the noodle soup.
Crock Pot is great! put a can of chicken broth in over it - lots of spices (cumin, oregano, s/p, garlic, onion, cayenne pepper, etc) add some carrots and potatos and peas - AMAZING!! Then make gravy too :)
I make a rub from spices (salt, paprika, onion powder, dried thyme, pepper, cayenne, garlic power) and shove an onion in the cavity. Cover it with plastic wrap and refrig overnite. Put it in a roasting pan and bake it for 5hrs at 250. It's yummo.
I usually end up putting a whole chicken in the crock pot. Lots of garlic cloves (depends how big the chicken), onions, potatoes, carrots, maybe celery. Pepper and basil for spices. The only thing with the crock pot is the skin still looks nasty, but we usually don't eat that anyways. Beckee
When I cook a whole chicken it is usually Sunday. I rub a little olive oil on it, & put whatever spices I feel like it on. Then I stick it in the oven at 275 & it is YUMMY & falling off the bone when we come home from church.:)
ReplyDelete~Ruth
I do the same thing, except bake it at a hotter temp, for a shorter time. Stick a meat thermometer in it before you start baking (they're very inexpensive if you don't have one already). Open your spice cupboard, and rub whatever you want on it. Suggestions are poultry seasoning, garlic powder, seasoning salt, lots of pepper, paprika, maybe some thyme...
ReplyDeleteI like to put potatoes around it and they get so yummy with the chicken juices.
I begin with a pot of boiling water. Once you place the chicken in the water, turn down the temperature just so that it's simmering. I also cook it with onions, carrots and potatoes. I only add salt and pepper, but you can add whatever spices you like. I think parsely would be good too. Once the chicken is to the point where it is falling off the bone, I take it out and eat it with the vegetables. I'll then add some extra thin noodles and enjoy a bowl of soup afterwards. Also with the left overs from the chicken you can add back into the noodle soup.
ReplyDeleteCrock Pot is great! put a can of chicken broth in over it - lots of spices (cumin, oregano, s/p, garlic, onion, cayenne pepper, etc) add some carrots and potatos and peas - AMAZING!!
ReplyDeleteThen make gravy too :)
I make a rub from spices (salt, paprika, onion powder, dried thyme, pepper, cayenne, garlic power) and shove an onion in the cavity. Cover it with plastic wrap and refrig overnite. Put it in a roasting pan and bake it for 5hrs at 250. It's yummo.
ReplyDeleteThat's easy...I don't! =)
ReplyDeleteI usually end up putting a whole chicken in the crock pot. Lots of garlic cloves (depends how big the chicken), onions, potatoes, carrots, maybe celery. Pepper and basil for spices. The only thing with the crock pot is the skin still looks nasty, but we usually don't eat that anyways.
ReplyDeleteBeckee