For those of you that don't know these people they all live in RL and all (exepte for one couple) lived there when I lived there. These are people that all impacted my life in one way or another. Some I only know by name and face, but I have memories of stories that I link them to. Other's were parents of friends and Sunday School teachers. All of them represent a much simpler time in my life. A time I sometimes almost hurt with longing for, but yet never want to return to. Looking at these faces I realize that as I knew them they were neighbors and church friends, people in my world. As an adult looking at this picture I see people that have experienced adventure, loss, joy, many unknowns, dreams, frustration, a call. I was struck by the knowledge that even though I haven't lived around any of these folks in 20 years (this June!!) that they each are still apart of my memories. I wonder what kind of impact and memories I'm leaving on the children around me?
A few memories that come to mind when I look at this picture:
-A&N L: Handicraft, I loved that place. The smell of leather, candy and Gospel Echoes tapes all in one place! I also have very found memories of a book that A used to read during the children's time at church. It was called Bird Life in Winkton. I found that book in Rosedale's library and had a great time reading it. N was such a wonderful hostess and she took time to talk to me and notice me often even after we left RL.
I&R R: Remember playing Kick the Can and I'm in the Court, Give me a Wave with their sons up at the old shop on "the hill". It was nighttime and I was scared out of my wits, but so thrilled to be included.
W:(can't remember wife's name or last name name:( ): radio
N&M G: Thier place was a great place to play at. How many places could a 10 year old go and have their own car (?!) to drive. Also remember doing ceramic projects at their house. Oh yeah, and hobby! I remember learning to singing hymns there that I still love.
DS: Beautiful lady. Norman also left a big impression on me as a little girl. I remember him as a very kind man.
H&M H: More "hill" stories. While I was at RBI (years ago when I was single) God did a work in my heart during one of our revival weekends. Amazingly, the people God wanted me to forgive and H were there for the weekend. No one else at RBI would have known any of what I was working through. I still feel that God had H there to help bring healing to me. I remember praying with him and not even needing to give details. I will never see his face or hear his name without feeling grateful for a kind, recognizable face that I believe God had at the right place at the right time, just for me.
I didn't even touch on half of my memories that include everything from tree planting to the old green school and many more. A lot of my memories are fuzzy. I guess I'm getting old. :)
Thank you to all that have allowed me to watch you, even when you didn't know it. Thank you for teaching me much about life and God. I hope I can leave as good of an impression on those watching me.
Thanks for sharing your memories - I have a lot of the same ones. Bird life in Winkton!! - Remember when Louise Lapp had a slumber party with her SS class and we all sat in the hammock in the living room in the dark and A red stories out of that book with a flashlight? I forgot about that till just now. Those were the days, eh?
ReplyDeletegreat post, sabrina! thanks for sharing those memories. those were the days, eh?
ReplyDeleteyes, great post, Sabrina. Thanks for the challenging reminder to live life knowing we are impacting others each day in some way, whether or not we're aware of it.
ReplyDeleteRachel, I forgot about reading that book in the hammock, but I do remember putting burretts (sp?) in Alvin's hair. I think that was the same night. :)
ReplyDeletei love this picture, too. i saw it on facebook, and it also made me feel emotional. such a wonderful group of people! thanks for the reminder that we influence kids around us...probably more than i like to admit sometimes. :S what a responsibility!
ReplyDeleteSabrina, Well written!! Reading your blog, and the comments, got me all choked up !!Precious memories!!
ReplyDeleteWe all really were "family" away from home, weren't we !!??
What an ABUNDANT LIFE we have in God's family !! Mom
This post brought tears to my eyes. Maybe because you have a good way of writing...maybe because there's a part of me that longs for that simpler time in my life...although you're so right - as much as I miss it, I'd never want to go back. What great memories. I love that there are people out there who have the same memories as me.
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing these memories from your heart, Sabrina. Memories from our childhood often seem to hold extra-special meaning! ~SH
ReplyDeleteSabrina, what a touching entry! I loved reading it...and yes, each of those "old timers" have impacted our lives. And many others as well...your parents, Leonards, Merles, etc. (not that they are old timers!) Thanks for sharing. (and I know this is really behind the times, but I'm only seeing it now for the first time)
ReplyDelete