Thursday, August 09, 2007

Questions

I have wanted to send out this question for awhile. However, it's taken a conversation with some friends and Joy's recent post to actually get it done.

Here is my question. How do you sort and store clothes that children have grown out of and clothes that they will grow into. Isaiah has clothes that are size 12 months that he still can wear, but then some of his 18 months stuff is too small. Any suggestions on how to pack up his clothes so that I'll be able to find the right size when this baby needs them? This sounds like an odd question, but I'm curious to know if anyone has suggestions.

5 comments:

  1. I sort of go by size, but if something is like you said 18 mo. and he it is to small for him at 12 mos. I put it with the smaller size. That way you will not miss it for your next little guy. I tell you one thing this is one of the main headaches with having children... keeping all the clothes organized and knowing what you have. I'll also let you in on a secret it is even worse to judge size for girls. Danielle is turning one here soon and she is in 24 mo. dresses. One piece outfits are a little closer her size....maybe she is just tall I don't know. Well have fun organizing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, I'm curious to hear what all suggestions people have too! My favorite purchase recently was some under-the-bed storage boxes for my maternity clothes. With limited storage area we have to make the most of every empty space possible.

    So far with Elena's clothes I've just been putting them into clear storage boxes as she outgrows them. Or simply stacking the clothes in a corner. :( I'm thinking I need to find bigger boxes or a better method...

    ReplyDelete
  3. GOOD QUESTION! I detest sorting and storing clothing. I have to remind myself to be grateful I have that many clothes to store. A friend of mine w/ 3 boys buys those GIANT ziploc bags and stores everything in there so she can easily open and close them and see what's in them at a glance. I haven't tried it yet but I'm thinking it would be easier than cardboard boxes...although not as space saving.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i think that if you periodically sort out-grown clothes out of their wardrobe and pack them up and mark them with a general idea of what size is in that box, you'll be ok. the key is that you must then check out what you have periodically, as well, so you don't miss things. i can't remember when isaiah's birthday is, but if they are at all in different seasons, then be sure you check even more often.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sabrina...Jeremy's Aunt Cheryl here. I LOVE the window into your life!!...I'm very fond of clear storage bags or boxes (they make gigantic zip locks)and I'm not opposed to storing things under a bed or in a closet or in the corner of an unused space or room. Be sure to label as accurately as possible.
    About the eating thing...I'll simply offer my "gut sense" and I admit that I have not studied or read anything about this recently, so I have no idea what the child experts are saying...and I'm also not sure they're always right.
    All of us have food preferences, from texture to color to taste, little children included. I'm all for healthy eating, in fact, I fed my little girl lentils (that was 26 years ago!)But I am not in favor of forcing children to eat certain things or withholding food from them. I knew one mother who just kept offering the same food till the child gagged and ate it! What if someone did that to us??!! Children go through phases...I wouldn't let Isaiah eat chips and lollipops for every meal, but I also wouldn't make him eat chicken, for example, IF he clearly detests it. I'd keep offering him a great variety. Keep simple foods on hand that he does like and I wouldn't necessarily make anything special for him, but I can't see forcing children to eat something they can't seem to stomach.Jelly bread. Peanut butter. Bananas. That'll keep a kid alive for a long time. I'd suggest keeping this issue very low key. I wouldn't make it a big power struggle. I'd feel sad if every meal became this tense, frustrated power struggle. Keep things light and joyful and playful.I've known some very picky eaters, including some adults. As adults, I'd like to think they could just "get over it" but even then, people have food preferences. I didn't learn to eat tomoatoes till I was an adult. Give him healthy choices and don't make a big deal about his little stage he's going through.
    As for that WalMart clerk...perhaps she had a bad morning...maybe she had some power issues and needed to give "it" to someone. Maybe she truly cared and simply overextended herself. I'm glad you could get it in perspective and not let it ruin your day. It was likely HER issue.
    Sabrina...happy waiting! Ahhh, my loving thoughts are with you. This will be a BIG change for you, Jeremy and Isaiah, but you'll settle into a rhythm in time. It'll be okay. Couples have to snatch little pieces of time to connect. Things are NEVER quite the same once you have the responsibilities of children. But what gifts they are...This IS a very precious season of your life!! Enjoy the moments.

    ReplyDelete