This is Robyn's recipe. Robyn, I hope you don't mind me sharing it. I always thought scones were hard to make, but these are so simple. I think the key to making them good is to not stir or knead them too much and not over bake. Let me know if you try them!
Lemon Curd:
2 eggs
1 c. sugar
6 T. margarine, melted (I used butter)
1/4 c lemon juice
2 T. grated lemon peel (I didn't have any lemons, but I think this would make them even better)
In top double boiler, beat eggs and sugar. Stir in butter, lemon juice and peel. Cook and stir for 15 min or until thick. Cover and refrigerate until cool. (it thickens as it cools)
Scones:
2 c. flour (Melanie, I'd stick with white :))
1/4 c. sugar
1 T. baking powder
1 T. poppy seeds
1/4 tsp. salt
1/3 c. cold butter
3/4 c. milk
1 T. lemon juice (fresh-squeezed is best, but I never have lemons on hand)
Additional sugar for sprinkling
Combine first 5 ingredients. Cut in butter. Combine milk and lemon juice and stir into flour mixture just until blended (dough will be soft). Place on a floured counter and knead gently 6 times. Shape into a ball and pat into an 8 inch circle. Cut into 8 wedges. Place on greased baking sheet and sprinkle with sugar. Bake at 425 for 12-15 minutes. Serve warm with lemon curd.
Did I put this in the book I made for your wedding gift? I certainly don't mind you sharing it - it's not like I made it up. In fact, I think it's a TOHome recipe. Oh man, now I'm hungry for these. I haven't made them in years. Mmmmm.
ReplyDeleteIt was one of the of the recipes you gave me. I love them! You should make some right now. :)
ReplyDeleteI love to make scones! Collin has started to make them now too. (For breakfast when he doesn't feel like amking pancakes on Sundays.) My recipes all say to use white flour but I always do half white and half whole wheat. They turn out just fine....I think they are more tasty than with all white. I love lemon so we'll be trying these in the very near future!!
ReplyDeletei'm surprised Jeremy isnt a bigger guy with all these yummy recipes you are making :) i wish i was your neighbor or something
ReplyDelete