Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Can we fix it?

Yesterday morning I pulled a bag of granola out of the cupboard and noticed a nice little round hole in the side of the bag. Hmmm, almost looks like a mouse could have done that. Immediately little chills ran all over my body and I became very jumpy. Then I decided maybe the bag got caught on something. Yes, that must be it. We've never had a mouse problem since we've lived in this house.

Fast forward to sometime in the middle of the night last night. I woke up to the sound of something. Sounded like one of the boys had snuck a toy into bed with them. So I went to investigate. Nope, both boys are sound asleep and that's when I realized that the sound was coming from somewhere in the kitchen. Now, most of you wise people would calmly walk into the kitchen and hunt down the noise. Not me. I was in my bare feet! "Jeremy, what's that noise?" In a loud whisper so as not to wake of the boys or scare the Thing. Jeremy stumbled out of bed and decided that the sound was coming from the ceiling! He bangs on it a few times, the noise stops and he goes back to bed. I run back to bed. I was in my bare feet! Jeremy assures me that we'll set some traps and catch the Thing and then he falls back to sleep. Not me. Are you kidding??!! My mind works the best at night.
There is a hole in the ceiling of MY closet. The hole was made before we moved in. It has something to do with the plumbing from the upstairs bathroom. Now if your mind works as well as mine does you will be picturing little creepy mice crawling from the ceiling through that hole -into my clothes!! Into my shoes! I'm home all day I'll wear what I wore yesterday and didn't put away. Thankfully I didn't put my shoes away either. Everyone knows you ALWAYS wear shoes if there are mice in the house.

Next thought. I really should have something to protect myself and my young if one of these Things should make an appearance. Isaiah thinks I'm scared of spiders. I'm not scared of spiders. I dislike spiders. If he sees me around a mouse he'll need counseling. Maybe I need counseling. Yes, I need to protect us. Tools. Maybe a hammer, or a broom, of a shovel. Yes a big heavy snow shovel. It's in the basement.
Next thought. If they're in the ceiling on the main floor then they most certainly are in the basement. What if they are in the ceiling of the basement?? I need a hat. It's in my closet. Won't work. If they're in the ceiling they have to be on the floor. Boots. Big rubber boots. I'd have to dump them upside down while standing on my bed so that if any of the dozens of little Things crawled into the boots they would fall out and run away. This could work. I don't own rubber boots. Won't work. Note to self, have Jeremy get me a sledge hammer when he is home for lunch.
Speaking of tools, here's a picture of Isaiah in his Bob the Builder outfit that he wore to Story hour on "dress like your favorite story character" day. Just a little reward for anyone still reading this nonsense. All together now "Boooob, the builder, YES WE CAN!"

I'm off to find away to keep Think 1, 2 or 3 from escaping out of my closet.

11 comments:

  1. I'm literally laughing out loud here!!! Sabrina, you are hilarious and I can totally feel your pain. I've had several of those sleepless, can't stop the brain from being irrational nights. :) Good luck with your hunt. :) Oh, and the picture is priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! Any sightings yet? This is funny because I just heard a noise in our ceiling in the kitchen before I read your blog. I have never heard that before. Luckily we've sold the house. I'm hoping not to stick around long enough to see what it came from :) Of course, it could have possibly been my imagination.

    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  3. In our last house there were mysterious noises in the ceiling that would keep me up at nights. Shaun attempted to convince me that it was just birds sitting on the gutters, but I never quite believed him. Once after a vacation we found droppings in this house, but that's the only time. I'm always a little nervous about what I'll find after a vacation now...

    You know, I seem to recall that when we were at Rosedale I had to empty the mousetraps for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sabrina, Sabrina, Some things I guess you will never out grow !! :)
    Should I make it public, about the time you at age 20 or so ???---literally jumped from the floor into my lap, as I sat on the couch, watching you go through a box of your "old stuff", and you thought you heard a mouse in the paper ?? :):) ( IT was not a fake act, folks, she was terrified !!:)
    Teach Isaiah to be brave with those cute little creatures; he looks equiped to do so !! :) CUTE !! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Sabrina -- what a kindred spirit! I have tried to convince myself how irrational it is to be terrified of something so small that really can not hurt me. But it never works. And yes, the imagination... but I've had too many real life experiences with them to blame everything on imagination. God's speed in catching the little critters that may be looming. You will be in my thoughts and prayers!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel your pain!!! I hate those things.

    Cute picture! Kyrell is really starting to get into "Bob the Builder" which is much better then doll houses:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mice....ewww!

    You were very kind to let your husband go back to sleep, while you laid awake imagining. I could only go to sleep the other night because I knew my husband had killed our snake intruder!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You crack me up!
    BTW, there is a new installment of Black Heels to Tractor Wheels...and another one coming tomorrow!
    -jo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sabrina you are way too funny. Thanks for the laugh and I hope the Things are taken care of soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday, Isaiah! Looking good in your Bob outfit there. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the laugh, Sabrina. Can't wait to see you all at Christmas. BTW, be glad you all don't sleep at the farm in the winter! I can give explicit details anytime you want them! Tell Isaiah hello and Happy Birthday for us...and your dear Jeremy too--it's a big one!
    Feliza

    ReplyDelete