Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Quinoa

Do any of you use/like quinoa? I'd like to try it, but I'm wondering if its good and the best way to fix it.

7 comments:

  1. ummmm, I've heard the term - does that help? I would probably resort to google, but that's not very relational and verifiable I guess. I got the second issue of TOH with a coupon for a free cookbook!! WOW! Did you know I would get that? Oh, and did you get a thank you from us yet? I had it all addressed and stamped, and it was on the desk that is now at Goodwill. I'm not sure if it was lost in the shuffle, or if Dave mailed it. The pictures you posted are so cute! good job of capturing that last one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've only recently tried quinoa. 2 girls liked it, 2 girls didn't. I made like a pilaf with it - baked it with some onion, peppers, etc. and used chicken stock for the liquid. It was really good, and not as chewy as I thought it would be. The next thing I'm going to do is cook it in water and eat it with brown sugar and cinnamon for breakfast. I'd also like to try a recipe for bread I saw a while back on Angie's site. Hope that helps. :-) Oh, very cute pics. You should frame the b&w of the muscles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have seen in at "our"Bulk Zone store, in all forms and brands. Some one told me it is kind of like rice ?? I get the feeling it is very healthy, anyway.
    If you try it, I'll try it !! :)
    Robyn,I think I would like the Brown sugar/cinnamon way rather than the chicken stock way ??
    You girls motivate me to try it !! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. My very limited experience with it is that someone brought it to a potluck/picnic one time. I had never heard of it before but tried it and liked it! However, now I can't even remember how it was fixed! But I'd encourage you to go ahead and try it, you might like it too! ~SH

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, It was recommended in Uncle Daryl's Runner's world Magizine so he bought it and cooked it. I do like it!

    Wow! He just came in from a 14 mile run with plans to make some as a post run meal :-)

    It is great as a base to use for salads, stews, hot dishes, etc. We liked "Chicken with Quinoa Tabbouleh". This one can be found on the Runner's world site. If you do a search with the name it can be found. (rather then me trying to type it here!) Enjoy it! A Rhoda

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good question, Sabrina...one that I've been wondering myself. Hope it's okay that I helped myself to all the free advice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, yes, I'm cooking it for dinner tonight. We love it. It's a very excellent source of protein. Be sure to rinse it in cold water before cooking otherwise it might have a bitter taste. (Use a small strainer.) It can be cooked in broth or water. I add it to soups.
    Enjoy experimenting!
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete