After my rather depressing post this morning I thought I'd come back with a new subject. By the way, Jo and Joy, I like your suggestions, just ignore it. I'm considering a news free fast!
On to better things. Food! I found this site the other day. I spent very little time on the site and I have no idea if I will ever use any of her recipes. However, it did get my excited about using my crockpot again. Why is it that fall and winter are crockpot seasons? I've always thought that summer would be a better time to use a crockpot because you could have a hot supper without making your kitchen hot. Oh well.
Here's the question, what is your favorite crock recipe? I have the Fix it and Forget it cookbook, but it has been a hit or miss for me and the misses are very painful when the end of supper comes and no one liked it and I have TONS of leftovers. I usually freeze it and try to bring it out another time with an innocent look on my face. (note: this rarely works -unless we have company. evil chuckle, evil chuckle)
If you have the Fix it and Forget it book, what is your favorite recipes? I'm in a cooking slump and could use some get-up-and-go.
what ever the recipe in a crockpot...i have discovered that the crockpot liners(in the saranwrap aisle) are awesome...no cleanup....have you tried them?
ReplyDeletetina
my favourite crockpot recipe is the bbq beef/pork sandwiches on our recipe blog. (sorry, don't know how to do links in the comments!) you can do the meat that way for fajitas, as well. (e-mail me if you want directions that are less vague. :)
ReplyDeleteMy problem with my crockpot is me--I find a recipe I like, but it needs to cook 8-10 hours, and it's already too late to start it! I'm too "last minute" with my cooking. And you're right--if you don't like it, you're stuck with a bunch of leftovers.
ReplyDeleteBUT--we love the chalupa recipe in the Fix It and Forget It book. It's made with pork roast and pinto beans, and then you serve it with tortillas or over tortilla chips, with lettuce, tomatoes, onions and cheese.
I kept forgetting to look up the names of these recipes, but here they are: Chicken in Mushroom Gravy (pg 171, used a zillion times around here, great over mashed potatoes or with noodles) and Slow-Cooker Pizza (pg 166, great for potlucks or lots of leftovers -- use a smaller, more compact pasta than what they call for otherwise it gets large pasta blobs).
ReplyDeleteAnd I agree with Joyce, it's usually too late to use the crockpot by the time I get myself organized. :(