I love watching cooking shows. My favorite part is when they use those little glass bowls full of premeasured ingredients. Doesn't that make cooking look so easy? Sometimes I wonder where the minimum wage, overworked, probably starved, frazzled haired worker is that is measuring out 2 Tbsp. of sugar, a pinch of salt and an "eyeball it" of whatever. You never see them. Just Martha, or Rachel or whomever. Anyway. I can't watch cooking shows, but I do get a kick out of some of the blogs out there that show pictures of all of the ingredients for a recipe. It just looks so neat and organized. Sometimes I like to feel neat and organized too. So on Saturday when I made applesauce I took pictures! Aren't you thrilled? Just humor me or find another site. :)
Step 1: I love apples. Take away the brown spots and don't you just smile?

Part II: I also love the smell of apples cooking. I like this picture because it just looks domestic. The big pot, the wooden spoon. I can still smell it.

Section C: The Machine. This thing is incredible. It belongs to my grandma, but maybe I'll get one for Christmas. I can't help but wonder what would happen if I ran something other than apples thru it. Hummm...

Finally: The finished product. (or part of it) Success. Sorry no picture of the canning process, which I think might be my favorite part. Oh well.

So much for Cooking with Sabrina. Be sure to watch my next show when I tell you about the Cream of Celery soup I made for supper. It's titled "What was I thinking?!"
Wow! I'm inspired and in awe. Thank you for the beautiful picture tour of applesauce day. I vote for bananasauce being the next thing you run through the machine. mmmmmmmmm.... maybe. Anyway, I'd LOVE to hear about the "What was I thinking soup?" I made hamberger barley soup for supper that took an age and a half, but turned out quite well. And I hope to blog about the fattening/healthy cookies I made. I, however, wouldn't know the first thing about making applesauce or canning anything. I'm very impressed. You do our ancestors proud. I don't know why I'm going on and on like this. YOu have my utmost respect, admiration, and esteem. Keep on peelin, boilin, steamin, pureein, cannin, eatin, and you just can't go wrong. Many blessings. Peace. Joy. Love. Kindness. And More.
ReplyDeleteRachel, I should have said that this was my first time doing applesauce by myself. I've always had my mom, aunt or grandma to help me in the past. The word "canning" used to make my insides shake (not really) because I didn't have a clue, but really, it's not that hard. Love to hear about your cookies!
ReplyDeleteDear Sabrina, Way to go, it looks great, and so messy free, or, are there a couple pictures missing ?? :)!! :)
ReplyDeleteNow you know you can do it on your own !! Mom
What I really wonder about on the cooking shows is who gets to wash the nasty, crusty dishes. The TV personalities makes it look so effortless, but have you ever noticed how they just whisk away their dirty pots and bowls, and stow them under the counter. I think the clean-up job would really stink.
ReplyDeletewow! your applesauce thingy is way cooler than mine... mine looks a big strainer with stick and you have to keep working the apples to they squeeze out (it takes awhile) but homemade applesauce is AMAZING and worth the trouble (only i eat it too fast)
ReplyDeleteHomemade applesauce is the best! I got one of those machines last year for Christmas (a used one the in-laws were going to sell until I protested!)... however, I haven't actually done any sauce yet. I need to get my act together. Not sure whether I would can or freeze it though. Our space is so limited in both regards that I'd have to figure out which one would be best.
ReplyDeleteI also agree that your kitchen looks entirely too clean to be making applesauce! :)
The pictures are great, Sabrina! I love making apple crisp!! I haven't made applesauce for many years. I've found Mott's applesauce to be an excellent substitute for homemade applesauce.
ReplyDeleteI LOVE making soups, too!
Cheryl