Friday, January 07, 2011

Priorities

Nothing like a birthday and the start of a new year to get my mind rolling on priorities. Actually it's something I have been chewing on for a few months. Well maybe longer than a few months.

Here's the questions
  • What are my priorities?
  • What does my life say my priories are?
If you were to walk in this room right now and ask me what my priorities were I would probably quickly answer "My husband and my children". And then I would quickly add "And God, but that's a given". A "given". Now there is a fulfilling relationship for you. :(

I've recently been convicted that I say these are my priorities and they are, but my life and actions are often speaking something different.

Too often I know my actions are coming out of a heart that is worrying about what others (you!) think of me. For example (among many):
  • If God was my top priority I should be seeking Him instead of seeking what you just posted on facebook; I would be preparing my heart to hear from Him on Sunday morning and hopefully teaching my children the same instead of trying to explain to them why they can not wear the jeans with holes in them and the stained shirt to church. "We don't dress like that when we go to church because we're going to meet with God and we give Him our best!" No, you don't dress like that because if you did the other mother's would think I wasn't organized enough to have better clothes ready for you. Also, since when do we just meet with God on Sunday and only then do we present our best...
  • If Jeremy was my my highest priority next to God my "needs" would seem smaller. I may even try to learn to figure how how to understand and follow Lego directions! Now that is love!
  • If my children (and husband and home) were next in line I would think of them and their needs before quickly volunteering to give my time to help someone outside of my home. Don't shoot me. I am all for helping others and reaching out and I enjoy doing it. However, I know I am guilty of quickly agreeing to do something because I know other's will see me do it and may even tell me I did a good job and (hopefully) be amazed at my ability to balance home, children AND ministry. Balancing all 3 is possible and I will continue to do it when and ONLY when I know the Holy Spirit is prompting me to do it. Have you even taken almost an entire day to prepare a meal to take to someone else -to bless them -while feeding your kids cheerios and telling them a zillion times to PLEASE FIND SOMETHING TO DO I'M BUSY! I would never do this, but I'm sure some people do...;) (note: I love taking food to people and will continue to do it, but I'm trying to learn to take a breath, look at a calender etc. before committing)
Maybe these seem like odd examples. They are just a few that came to mind while I typed this.

I've set a couple goals for this next year. I'm scared because I'm good at starting things and not finishing. However, I do think I am starting this year with a different heart as far as what and who needs my time and energy. Lord help me!

7 comments:

  1. Great post, Sabrina! (I wonder who raised you:)
    Really though, balance is always the name of the game, isn't it? But, just recently I was studying on leading in/providing for our homes and as I look back I realize how important it is to put our words into actions in our homes. God gives plenty of opportunities along the way to bless others as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Balance is the key for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good, but challenging stuff. Thanks for sharing! Will continue to ponder.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent post. Thought-provoking and something that I know needs work in my life. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. good to hear your thoughts, as always. thanks for speaking them out loud!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your blog, Sabrina! It has been awhile since I visited and as always you challenge me with your openness and realness about life as it really is. I loved this post because it's like you put words to what I am going through. Thanks for your encouragement! Love ya!
    Beckee

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great thoughts Sabrina:) I think for the past 2 years I practiced saying NO to everything if it took away time from my family. It was hard at first to say NO:) but it got easier and i also have learned the habit of telling people i have to check my calender first before i give them an answer of any commitments (most of the time) ha ha lol. Enjoying your blog girl!

    ReplyDelete