Monday, January 31, 2011

Broken Legos

The following took place last evening. I wish it would have been videoed so I could show facial expressions and get all the wording just right.

I was down stairs last night when Jeremy was getting ready to read to the boys and tuck them into bed. I realized that the conversation taking place in the room above me was one of frustration. I could Jeremy and Isaiah were not happy with Nathan for some reason.

I thought about staying out of it. Jeremy can handle things just fine without me, but my curiosity got the better of me and I ventured upstairs to see what was going on.

Somehow some of Isaiah's Lego pieces, flag poles, were broken. Lego's aren't supposed to break, but Nathan had managed to break about 3 of them. Nathan seems to have short term memory loss when things like this happen. The best we can figure out is that he was swinging Rufus around and possibly hitting the Legos. Isaiah was devastated. The average person, including his mother, wouldn't know this, but he claims they don't sell that set any more so there is no way for him to replace those pieces. This is a tragedy.

I tried hard to explain to Nathan how sad Isaiah was feeling. I asked him how he would feel if someone broke Tiny's (a little stuffed puppy he got for Christmas) leg. He said he would be really sad! I think he even had tears in his eyes. When he was told to tell Isaiah he was sorry I believe his response was "I want someone else to do it". That didn't work.

Nathan gave Isaiah a hug and said he was sorry. Isaiah responded by saying he forgave him and cried the whole time. I wanted to cry for Isaiah.

Everyone was just kind of quiet and feeling sad. Nathan looked at me and said "When can I be happy again? Everyone is being mean." Then he started to get a silly look on his face but tried to make a serious face again. He would almost start laughing then he'd stop himself. He said "I'm trying to be sad". Then he'd almost giggle again.

It struck me funny because it reminded me of serious situations I've been in when you know you shouldn't laugh, but you want to so badly.

If you don't know Nate you may not find this funny, but it made me smile. Now, what to do about the broken Legos...

5 comments:

  1. That is so cute! Did you give him permission to be happy yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey sabrina,
    my kids are still talking about you guys too. silas just told me today or yesterday that he wanted to "go back to that house with all the car stuff".
    thanks for being a great hostess...we had a great time catching up with you guys. we realized later that we had never done that. it feels like we know you but we had never actually hung out like that...we will have to do it again soon. you can come trash our house next time.
    enjoy your day and hopefully you can find a rememdy for the broken legos...
    heather

    ReplyDelete
  3. how about e-bay? ;) or high hopes for a smashing-ly good yard sale this summer? :) cheers. missy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. While I've never experienced a broken lego situation, I have had toys where parts "disappeared" or broke. Usually if you call the manufacturer and ask them for the part, they will give it to you for free if you pay the shipping and handling. Hope that helps :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry about the Legos!

    Yesterday we had a situation here--one kid committed a crime of theft (MARSHMALLOW!!) against another--and didn't feel any remorse, even though an apology was made. So this mama stepped in and stole a marshmallow for herself out of the thief's stash. I felt mean, but I think the point was made. (I'm not telling you to cut a stuffed animal's leg off!)
    ( :

    ReplyDelete