Thursday, July 15, 2010

Wal-Mart

I have a love/hate relationship with Wal-Mart. We only live about 5 minutes from it and sometimes I wish we didn't live so close. When I think of taking 3 children grocery shopping I automatically try to think of the quickest most pain free way to do it. Wal-Mart generally seems to be my best option.

Sadly, there is no quick way to run in and out at Wal-Mart. Milk and diapers on on the back wall. To get one gallon of milk and one package of size 2 diapers you must walk by:


  • ice cream

  • Pringles

  • candy

  • clothes
Of if you come in the opposite end of the store you walk by all the cool housewares stuff, electronics (Ok Jeremy, I'll meet you back here in 10 minutes) shoes. You get the idea.

However, where else can you go and buy feta cheese and windshield fluid in the same stop. I tell you Sam knew what he was doing.

Actually, I think Sam wouldn't be all that proud of what Wal-Mart is today. Just my thoughts. I have to admit I have been pretty loyal to Wal-Mart for a long time because I used to work there. But let me tell you, the Wal-Mart I worked at and the Wal-Mart I shop at are worlds apart. I remember little signs hung at each register that said "If there are more than 3 people in this line we are required to open a new register for you". The Wal-Mart I shop at now has
TV's to help keep you entertained while you wait in line.

I really shouldn't be so negative about a place I'm at all the time. My kids know it by name and dread it. They'd rather go "where the big red balls are". I am very grateful to have access to a place like Wal-Mart. I realize I am blessed (?!!). Wal-Mart blesses me?? I HAD NO INTENTION OF WRITING THAT WHEN I STARTED THIS POST. Wow, now I feel all warm and fuzzy. You know, our Wal-mart is open 24/7... Maybe I should just make a quick run to Wal-Mart yet tonight.

12 comments:

  1. I can understand the love hate relationship, but I would really love to have an American wal-mart close. I'd spend way too much money and time there. It's probably good I'm not close. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Walmart and I have a conflicted relationship as well. It's convenience vs. really crappy service. For the past year we've had problems with price tags sayig one thing, but the cash register saying another (higher) price. If I didn't have kids with me I could watch them scan each item and point out any problems. Otherwise I wouldn't notice until I got home and then I'd be really mad.

    I called to complain (trying to hold in my temper) and then also submitted an online complaint.

    I really tried to boycott them since then, but Walmart is ony 1 mile from our house and it's just too convenient when we need to pick up a quick item. I've been using all cash though -- I'm paranoid that they'll be monitoring credit cards and will be like, "Ha! The complainer is still shopping here!" :}

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I can't wait to comment on this one, Sabrina!!
    I happen to live 5 min from the Wal Mart you worked at; (from the beginning of the store set up, I might add, many years ago!)
    And I shop there only when my list is long enough to have to go !! But it is a pleasant experience, when I do !! I just dont like to run there all the time'.
    BUT, I have also shopped at ÿour" Wal Mart that is 5 min. from you, Sabrina !!
    Am I allow to say that I think "my" Wal Mart is still operating at the standard as when you left it, Sabrina !! Good job !!! :)
    I will never get pictures done at ÿour" Wal Mart again!!
    BUT I can go in and it is a trouble free experience at "my" Wal Mart !!
    I am tahnkful for our Canadian Wal Mart , only 5 min from our house !!
    In Aug, I will give you the "gift"of shopping at our trouble free Wal Mart, and keep your 3 precious little ones, while you ejoy your pleasant, trouble free, shopping trip !!! :):)
    Cant wait !! Love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great comments! Mom, I will take you up on it and I'm glad to know "my" (and Tina's) Wal-Mart still has some class.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A walmart with class, now there's an oxymoron. haha. at least around here. oh my! We don't even get TV's while we wait in lines that often stretch all the way to the clothing section across from the check out lanes. It's SO ridiculous. It could be the saturday before Christmas and they still don't have all the lanes open. Someone told me her husband tells her he can't go to walmart because "his soul dies everytime" or something along those lines. I can totally relate.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, all I can say is I only go to Walmart when I have too. Joy, I totally understand what you mean about price tags being different.
    If only there were as many Target's as there are Walmarts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eric and I shop Wal-mart ONLY when absolutely necessary. I took Isaac there for the first time ever just the other week (first time I had been there in prob 6 mo or so). He was a bit overwhelmed to say the least! It is just much more convienent for us that FoodLion is around the corner, and Target is just about 5 min or so in the other direction. Every time I go, I end up spending WAY more than I ever planned. Now I take a list and stick to it. I WILL not succumb to their schemes of "cheaper" equaling "free" or a "must buy". Last week I walked out paying only $15 and was so proud. Hardly ever happens like that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. THIS CURRENT WALMART ASSOCIATE CAN NOT HELP BUT COMMENT ON THIS!!HA HA I THINK WALMART CANADA RUNS ON A SLIGHTLY HIGHER STANDARD THAN THE ONES IN THE STATES BUT CANADIAN WALMARTS ARE NEWER SO JUST GIVE IT TIME! THE TRICK IS TO WORK THERE AND COME HOME EACH DAY WITHOUT A WALMART BAG! NEAR IMPOSSIBLE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey, Tina, great to read your comment, since you and Sabrina did store set up together, here at "my" WAl Mart!! :)
    You and Sabrina may want to know that our Wal Mart is adding an addition. I think, making it a Super Wal Mart ?? At least it is a bigger food section ! Sondra

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeah, I wish I had the option of going to Target. So far they don't have the brains to know that they should be in Canada. I only go to WalMart if I have to, as well. There are just certain things there you can't get anywhere else! I have often thought of my love hate relationship with it. I hate going there but I ALWAYS find stuff I need there.

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOL!! I don't like Walmart either, but find myself there all the time.:-( When Cassidy was 4 or 5 she told me, "When I get married, my husband is going to work all the time & I'm going to Walmart." YIKES!!!!
    ~Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had similar thoughts running through my mind recently. Where else can you go to buy fabric, a new potty seat, batteries, a t-shirt and chocolate Nesquik all in the same store? On one hand it's convenient. On the other hand, it's quite a brilliant ploy. If you want to enjoy that range of inventory, you have to walk by so much stuff that's not on your list! So...shopping at Walmart doesn't always save you money.

    I also get frustrated because so much of what I buy there falls apart soon after I get it because of quality issues.

    I'm fortunate enough that the closest Walmart is 20-25 minutes away, so I have to really plan to go.

    ReplyDelete