Thursday, July 08, 2010

Paying Cash for a House

I know some of you already follow www.savingmom.com. Did you read this article? How awesome would it be to pay cash for a house? Is it worth the sacrifice? Paying off our house is definitely in our long range goals and we often talk about how great it would feel to pay it off. I have alot of different thoughts rolling around in my head since reading this post. Hmmm. I keep typing stuff then deleting it because I'm not sure what else to say on the matter, or how much to share on what I think, because I'm not sure what I think. Now I'm totally confused. There are definitely people out there who make enough money to be able to save cash for a house in a reasonable amount of time. If you are not in that kind of work should you never go into debt for a house? As you can tell I'm just blabbing now as my mind thinks. I'd be curious to hear what you think, or what your first response was to this idea.

6 comments:

  1. I don't know what to say either, Sabrina. I'd like to know more. . .like: how old are they? did they have to give up having children? will they now be able to be a one income family without a house payment or do they have other plans to bless others with their finances? I know they are following what God has challenged them with. So what financial sacrifices is God challenging me to make? Good post and thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As someone who HATES paying so much interest every year as part of our house payment, I LOVE the idea of paying cash for a house.

    However, I also realize that in order for this to work, you have to have a spouse with a good-paying job to begin with. I'm not sure it would be worth it to rent for 10 years before buying (although I really haven't crunched any numbers, so what do I know?).

    I've typed and erased a lot of thoughts too. :) I think it's so cool that Crystal and her family were able to make that happen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe they are 85 years old, and this has been a LONG TERM goal and dream, and both were Drs. or lawyers, and someone gave them free rent, or nearly free rent, and they only ate beans and rice all their lives !! :):)
    There would be alot of information about their lives that would be interesting to know !!
    But that is amazing to buy a home debt free !!
    Congratulations to them on reaching their goal!! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. hmmmmm....interesting.... I think that's all I have to say. very interesting. wow... hmmmmmm....interesting. wow...

    ReplyDelete
  5. well, i think that the Lord puts each of us where we are at and with what we need. some people may be at where they can pay cash for their house, car, whatever, but i know i am not at that place and wishing i were ....well, maybe it is alittle ungrateful for where i am at with what i have???.....i have thought about the same topic and that's what i came up with for myself....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Actually, in reply to your questions (even though I'm not Sabrina)...I think they are a young couple, Crystal has been a stay-at-home wife, then mom since they got married. They have 2 young children. If you read much homeschooling info, buying a house debt free is something that is in a lot of the training your children, boys especially! A lot of people actually think that a man should have enough saved to buy a home before he asks a girl to marry him.:-) All of that to say, for some reason I was thinking that she was homeschooled?? Not sure about him. I used to read her blog before it was updated & their was a good bit of info on it...It's been a while since I read her stuff, so I could be mixing her up with someone else...
    ~Ruth

    ReplyDelete