Thursday, April 01, 2010

Communion for Mother's

Dear Lord,

This evening I went to Your house for a Maundy Thursday service. During the communion service I was interrupted by a baby that needed nursed, two poopy diapers, my two-year old throwing a crayon across the aisle, and my four-year old who suddenly forgot what whispering was.

I hope that the messages I was trying to send to my three children was not as clear to those around me as the one you were trying to send through my husband who was speaking to the congregation. I tried to meditate on what you did for me at Easter while taking communion, but once again I was distracted by children that didn't understand why mommy was eating bread and drinking juice and not giving them anything.

I hope you can see my heart, Lord because on the outside I'm all frazzled and worn out. I do remember what you did for me and I am forever grateful. Thank you for taking punishment upon yourself so that I could have peace.
Yours,
Sabrina

8 comments:

  1. Boy, I sure can relate. We have a Good Friday/Communion service this evening and I complained to Shaun yesterday, "What's the point of me even going?" For evening services I struggle to find the balance between supporting the church/seeking personal spiritual growth, and respecting the other worshipers/taking care of my kids (getting them to bed on time).

    Thankfully, I have found people to be very understanding and gracious toward me and my loud, wiggly, wild crew. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can identify with three kids at a communion service with my husband up front - I just did that last night too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm there with ya. We skipped church last Sunday and declared a family day. We went to Chuck E. Cheese at 10am! It was fun and I'm trying not to feel too guilty about it.
    -jo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mom made a comment today that, even if we as mothers feel like a distraction to others with our wiggly kids, our being there (noise and all) can actually be a blessing and a witness to others. (Even if we don't have time to have a real conversation with anyone!) I hadn't really thought about it from that angle before...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very good thoughts. I guess if were at least there maybe they'll remember to pray for us! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jo -I somehow missed your comment. Sounds like a good thing! Don't feel guilty at all! Your family has to come first.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Sabrina, I love this post. I missed communion completely on Good Friday because I had to take a kid out of the service. Sigh. I am so glad to know God knows our hearts. PS i liked your post about your dad too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You've made me laugh just because I too know the feeling. Our weekly meeting is at someone's house where our kids are the only kids. What's childcare? And it's so hard to stay quiet. Amazing how 2 hours can feel like an eternity. Somehow our parents survived and I think we turned out ok. :) How's the camera? One day maybe we can get one. Can't wait to see your pictures from it.

    ReplyDelete