Friday, July 24, 2009

Friday

Since it's Friday morning and I'd like to get my house cleaned today I decided to post something on my blog. It's only 8:00.

I've heard different ones of you talk about homemade laundry soap. I'll be honest with you and say that when I first heard about this I thought it sounded like a great frugal idea, but decided right then it wasn't for me. I mean, how good could the stuff be? Well, my mom and sister-in-law tried it and liked so I thought I'd give it a try. Still thinking it was a bit crazy. I had recently started buying more expensive soap because it seemed like the cheap stuff that I had been getting (yeah, you know the stuff I'm talking about) was not getting anything cleaned and our clothes seemed to fade so quickly. So, with that in mind I could hardly imagine anything that cost around $.03 a load (Cindy's figures) could be worth anything. Then I tried this recipe from http://www.tipnut.com/

Recipe #1
1 quart Water (boiling)

2 cups Bar soap (grated)

2 cups Borax 2 cups Washing Soda
Add finely grated bar soap to the boiling water and stir until soap is melted. You can keep on low heat until soap is melted.
Pour the soap water into a large, clean pail and add the Borax and Washing Soda. Stir well until all is dissolved.
Add 2 gallons of water, stir until well mixed.
Cover pail and use 1/4 cup for each load of laundry. Stir the soap each time you use it (will gel).

I have been so pleased with this soap! I do treat stains with Shout before I wash them and of course there are somethings that I soak in oxy clean (powder, not the spray -don't get me started on this stuff, it's amazing) because I can't get the stains out, but for the normal day to day grim this soap works great. It doesn't make much suds, but it works. You should try it. P.S. Our Wal-Mart does not sell the washing soda, but Giant does and maybe Target. It is washing soda you want, not baking soda.

Off to clean my house. The picture at the top of this post has nothing to do with laundry soap, but it makes me laugh so I thought I'd share it.

4 comments:

  1. I still want to try that homemade stuff. Thanks for a recipe. That is a cute picture. At first I thought you were going to write about the blinds falling victim to your boys or something. = )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sabrina, Thanks for the picture: I love it !!! :)
    About the laundry soap recipe.
    It is Ivory bar soap you want; right?? Did you miss that, or are you trying other bar soaps, too? Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was looking at those precious boys so much, I never noticed the blinds , till Rachel mentioend them !:)
    They are pretty bad ,Sabrina !!! :) :) Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mom, thanks for mentioning the Ivory, that is what I use, but I guess this recipe doesn't call for that exact kind. I also failed to mention that I made one batch sometime around March and I still have enough for a few more weeks.

    About the blinds, yes, they are bad. :) We'll get new ones before this baby moves in. Why spend the money when they could get bad again. :)

    ReplyDelete