This is old news, but I decided to post about it anyway. Last weekend Jeremy went camping with is brothers. Aside from the trip I took to Thunder Bay in 2006, I think I can count on one hand the number of times Jeremy and I have been away from each other overnight. (maybe one hand and a thumb, but not many) I know some of you have husbands that go out of town a lot for work. I've decided that I am very glad that Jeremy doesn't have to do that! It was a good weekend, but being a single parent is not an easy job.
I decided that I would concentrate on just spending time with the boys. I maintained the house and did some laundry, but nothing more than necessary. I watched a Barney DVD with Isaiah. That was an experience. I also played outside with Isaiah for awhile. That is something I should do a lot more of. We had a great time. I was struck at one point at how few of times Isaiah and I really laugh during our days. We laugh at Nathan and Nathan and Isaiah laugh at each other, but not often do Isaiah and I share a laugh. It was a very sobering thought for me. I feel like right now all I do is correct or respond to whining. I'm not sure of the exact wording, but I was reminded of the verse in Proverbs that talks about a merry heart being like good medicine. I wonder how much less crying and stubbornness would happen if Mommy had a smile on her face all day (or most of it -I am human!) Just a thought. How do you make your kids laugh? I remember my dad telling me a story of one of his aunts. Her son opened a can of chocolate syrup using an electric can opener, but forgot to hold onto the can. Chocolate syrup spilled all over the floor. My dad told me his aunt sat down and laughed!! I've never forgotten that story.
I'm way off track. Back to the weekend. Saturday morning I did decide to do something productive so I cut Isaiah's hair. I was almost finished, just trimming around his ears with a scissors and I chopped a piece off the top of his ear!!! I felt horrible! He has a nasty scab now. He keeps telling me his ear is feeling better. :( Nice reminder to me that I made it hurt.
I was going to go into more details, but we really didn't do a lot more the rest of the weekend. I wanted to rent a movie, but redbox didn't have what I wanted. I really missed Jeremy in the evenings. Especially when it was time to put the boys to bed, and then once they were in bed. Suddenly I had free time, but no one to share it with. Jeremy had a great time with his brothers. In case you're wondering, they played 54 holes of disk golf! The boys and I also had a good weekend, but we were all happy to be back together again.
P.S. We leave tomorrow evening for Thunder Bay. We will be driving through the night. We'd appreciate your prayers! I'll try to update some while we're there. I am looking forward to some Canadian summer weather!
Yes, the haricut story - I did the same thing to Mervin when he was a little kid. It's sorta alarming when you're cutting this sweet little kid's hair and all of a sudden there's a lot of blood and you're trying to casually dab and not make too big of a deal of it, but feel terrible! I also have a scar on my finger from chopping a chunk out if it while sheering the same child, different haircut though I think. Have fun in Thunder Bay!! = )
ReplyDeleteI know what you mean about having fun with your kids. I heard someone say that most mothers' biggest regret is that they didn't have enough fun/laugh enough with their kids. It's hard for me to remember when I'm constantly feeling tired. You asked what we do to make kids laugh...I guess just find the humour in small things (like spilling the chocolate)
ReplyDeleteHave a wonderful time in TB. Dress up with Grandma might make you laugh.Remember the story of boys throwing jello on the celling, and mom came in Oh no now what? she took the jello and started helping them throw it, and laughed and laughed, then they all worked together and cleaned it up. ha, ha
ReplyDeleteTwila