Friday, July 20, 2007

Yum or yuck?

Most of you probably do not know this about me, but eggs are not one of my favorite foods. As a kid I think eggs were the one thing mom didn't make me eat. As an adult I don't mind them as much. Especially if they are scrambled with lots of cheese. The one way I still do not like them is hard boiled. For some reason, I have been hungry for hard boiled eggs. I don't even like them in chicken salad or anything, but lately I've been craving them. The other day I finally gave in (though sure I must be out of my mind) and asked my grandma how to hard boil an egg. (Shows how often I've done it!) That night we had hard boiled eggs on our salad. With each bite something in my brain would scream "you don't like these things!" and yet they somehow tasted good to me. Weird. Today I was at a store that sells lots of homemade foods. I paid $1.60 for four pickled eggs. What is wrong with me?! I must admit I have always liked pickled eggs better than just plain hard boiled, but I spent more on these 4 purple eggs than it would have cost me for a whole dozen! At least it wasn't a box of ice cream.

10 comments:

  1. Hehe! This is a cute story. :) I guess being pregnant can really make you do some strange things, huh? Either that or my parents would say your taste buds are just maturing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooops - forgot my name, the last one was from Jessie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know that about you and eggs! But now I feel as though I've met my identical egg twin! Expect for the pregnant and craving eggs part. I always hated eggs as a child and now I can handle them scrambled and drenched in cheese, onions, and potates - that type of thing. I don't mind egg salad either, if it's done okay. But eating a slimy, yellow, mucky center? GAG!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That reminds me of one of my pregnancies. I've always liked eggs hard boiled or scrambled but you couldn't have PAID me to EVER eat an egg "over easy". And then when I was pg with Graham I craved eggs done just like that with lots of goopy yellow...absolutely NO goopy white THANK YOU!....to dip my toast in. Strange. I still like them although I sure don't crave them like I did those few months.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't say that I've ever had a pickled egg...and based on appearances I also can't say that I'd be eager to try one. : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow, five comments in 24 hours! Thanks!

    Joy, I can't believe you've never had a pickled egg! Basically they are hard boiled eggs that sit in beet juice and viniger for awhile. (can you tell I've never made them?:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That picture, and you little story makes my mouth water for a pickled egg !! :) Looks like a picture right out of the "Taste of Home " magazine.
    I do not make them very often here in Canada , because most people have never had them, and wonder,' what it the world is that' ???
    I would love to help you can some red beets in Aug , so you can continue to enjoy pickled eggs !! :) Look what you have been missing all these years !! :)
    Joy you have to try one !! They are great !! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE EGGS...from my head down to my legs. Scrambled, fried, soft- boiled, hard-boiled, poached, or dippy. They are probably one of my favorite foods and I'm so happy that you're learning to like them!

    BTW, I feel the same way as Jeremy. I think you're going early.

    Are we on for tomorrow?

    -Jolinda

    ReplyDelete
  9. There's a deli around here that people keep raving about...maybe I'll have to see if they have pickled eggs. In general I like eggs any way, shape, and form just like Jolinda...so maybe they wouldn't be too bad. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. OK. Your picture makes me want to go fix myself a hardboiled egg and hunt for some pickled red beets too. I love pickled eggs. I love eggs. In fact, I really, really, seriously want to raise me some chickens just so I can have eggs any time I want.

    ReplyDelete