Friday, June 26, 2009

Wow!

(This picture has nothing to do with this post. Mom wanted to see Nathan with his new haircut:) Like the swimmers he's wearing?)

First of all, I have to say it's nice to know that there are still people in the blog world! Thanks for the comments and guesses (or should I say guess. :)) I was going to wait until I received the stuff to tell you what it is, but oh well. Rhonda, I should give you a price -you're good! I ordered a set of cake decorating tips and a book on cake decorating. I got the book mostly because it pushed my total over $25 so I could get free shipping, but hopefully I'll learn something too.

Mom, I think you know me well. You said cake decorating is a duty. That's pretty close. However, I do enjoy it because the boys enjoy the cakes. I have no desire to do cakes for anything other than my family's birthdays, but even for that I'd like to learn enough about decorating to make the cakes look presentable. My husband always tells me it's important to have good tools for any job you have to do so I'm hoping these tips will help me out somehow. One of my biggest frustrations is the consistency of the icing. I use a recipe my Grandma used for years to decorate wedding cakes and my mom and aunts use the same recipe and it always turns out for them. Mine always seems to "melt". Why is that?

Lastly, Melanie, swagbucks are great! Basically you earn "bucks" for doing searches online. I downloaded their toolbar onto our computer so whenever we pull up Internet explorer to search something it's right there and easy to use. Sometimes you'll google something and earn nothing, the next time you might earn one or two bucks. It's so exciting. Once you've earned so many (45 bucks will get you a $5 Amazon gift card) you can cash them in for different prices. The Amazon cards are the best that I see, but you can also get music downloads and other gift cards too. Try it!

6 comments:

  1. I've been meaning to check out Swagbucks - sounds like a nifty little thing. I hope your cake decorating supplies bring you many years of joy and satisfaction. And I don't know about the icing. I think I've mostly used the recipe that we used to use at the bakery which I think is Sue H.'s but I'm not 100% sure. I do remember that it's good to make it stiffer than it seems like it should be, because it always seems to get more soft as it sits. But a bunch of other people would know way more than me about it all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm there with you, as far as cake decorating only happening 3 times a year (on the boys' birthdays). It's fun when I do it, but nice to put the stuff away until the next birthday :) Hope your new supplies help you have even more fun with your creations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute picture. Happy Cake Decorating!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the picture Sabrina !! Cute !! He is growing up too fast !! Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  5. yay! :)

    as for icing, i use this recipe:

    plop some crisco in a bowl (use margarine or butter if you don't have crisco...), add some milk or water, some vanilla and a bunch of icing sugar. mix it up and add either more icing sugar or more milk to get it right. :D ha ha. sorry i'm not more help. :) i do think that crisco is the best for icing. hope you find a recipe that works for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so out of it these days...didn't even read the little guessing game you had until it was too late :-(
    I have been thinking about investing in cake stuff too...it'd be way cheaper than buying cakes (which I never do), but I get frustrated at my lack of good equipment. You'll have to let me know what to get and if you like it.

    ReplyDelete