Sunday, October 08, 2006

I promised I'd update, but I haven't done a very good job of it! Thank you to all of you who left comments. Especially you Jeremy. :) We're missing you a lot too! Try talking to the plants if the walls get too boring. I hear that singing to plants helps them grow! :) I love you!!!

We are having a good visit here in Thunder Bay. We've taken long walks each day. What else do you expect when you're spending time with my mom. :) We're also eating a lot of really good food. Right now the ladies are playing Settlers. I didn't play because Isaiah needed to be put to bed. He is doing real well here. He is right back on his regular schedule.

I am enjoying the beauty of a Canadian fall. The leaves here are past their peak, but there are still a lot of yellow left. I'm enjoying Lake Superior very much. Even though I haven't lived here for years there is still something that makes me feel like I've come home when I'm here. I'm not sure how to describe it. I felt it as soon as we got on highway 17. I kept trying to put my finger on what I was feeling. I think it's the wilderness feel that I love. You drive down the highway and see only trees, sky, two lane highway, and a few little towns for 8 hours. Even the houses have a different design than in PA. I feel relaxed or calmed by the familour sigts. Even driving through the city is so familiar and yet so different at the same time. A lot of things I never really noticed when I lived here and yet when I see them now I remember them. I went to Wal-Mart the other day and saw people working there that worked there when I did how ever many years ago. It's hard for me to imagine that they are still doing the same thing. I'm very glad that my life has moved on. God has blessed me more than I could have ever imagined. I doubt we'll ever live in Thunder Bay, but there will always be a big part of Thunder Bay in me. I experienced joy and some pain in Thunder Bay, but I think for some of my early visits, soon after I moved, I felt the pain and had a hard time seeing the beauty that was in front of me. Not just the beaty of nature, but the beauty of what God has done for me and my family and how He used Thunder Bay and the friends we've made here to shape us. I guess to sum up I'd have to say that visiting Thunder Bay is always a little bittersweet, but lately I've been tasting a lot more sweet than bitter. Maybe there's a moral in there for all of us somewhere. :)

The Settlers game seems to be getting pretty crazy. Maybe I should go calm them down. For grandmas they can sure get wild! Time for a nice calming Gaither video. :) Thanks for reading another long post!

6 comments:

  1. Sweetheart, I'm pretty impressed with your writing! Any chance I can get you to write me a personal email? =) You're almost getting poetic with all of that Lake Superior, trees, and bittersweet stuff. =) I think I can understand what you're feeling. You have so many of your memories wrapped up in Thunder Bay and Red Lake. I feel the same way whenever I drive past the place where I grew up. It's almost a part of me. Maybe it's kind of like finding something that you lost, whenever you've forgotten you lost it. O.K. Maybe I'm getting a little deep, but I'm very glad that things are getting sweeter and less bitter!
    I love you.
    Sleep well. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. your thoughts are easy for me to identify with while I'm visiting RL! thanks for sharing with us. and that last paragraph...hilarious!! you're a good writer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can completely understand what you're saying...there's something about going to MN that just feels so right. Of course there was a time in life that I felt I just needed to get out of there, and I'm glad I did because it 'broadened my horizens', but now that I'm away I often long to go back. Finding myself surrounded by trees, by the lake that I love, towns miles away...it makes me ache inside... (in a good way)

    - joy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know what you mean, sista.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad that you arrived safely. I'm not sure that I would have been as brave as you to make that long trip with a little one. You go, girl.
    It sounds like you miss your 'hometown' but I sure am glad you came to Franklin County and that I met you.
    You might be tired of long walks but we must take one more when you get home!
    Have a wonderful time!
    Jolinda

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jo, thanks for leaving a comment! Yes, we must get together when I get home!

    ReplyDelete