Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Bubbles

Last evening Isaiah and Nathan were outside blowing bubbles. They were having a blast. Eventually it happened, Nate spilled his bubbles. I figured it would happen. Thankfully we had a huge bottle of bubbles inside and I was able to refill his little bottle. Back to blowing bubbles.

After awhile I noticed that Isaiah was now blowing bubbles from the fort. I briefly wondered how he climbed the ladder while holding onto bubbles, but he was fine so I went back to washing dishes.

A few minutes later I checked on them again. That is when I saw Nate, wearing rubber boots on the wrong feet and holding his bubbles in one hand slowly climbing the ladder to the fort. My first thought was to run out and help him, but something held me back.

I'm not sure why I'm even sharing this story. Maybe because to stand back and watch your child struggle to reach a goal is not easy to do. Especially when it's very much within your power to reach out and push him on up. Or even crawl up the ladder and blow the bubbles for him.

The thought of my children growing up literally makes me hurt. Maybe that's why I'm writing this down. So that I don't forget...

Nathan crawled to the top of the ladder, climbed into the fort and victoriously blew bubbles. All while his mom stood inside the kitchen watching him. He had no idea I was watching him. Now I think I'll just sit down and cry.

4 comments:

  1. I think I'm going to cry with you! I totally understand this post. Good job standing back and watching - I need to remember that too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All I can say is, I'm so glad we can trust God with our kids. I can't imagine not being able to. What do people do who don't believe?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I often find myself impatient for my kids to get older so they can do more for themselves. But today Elena and I were looking at her 2-year photo and I just wanted to cry. When that picture was taken I remember being shocked at how old and grown-up she looked... but from the perspective of now, she just looks like a little baby that I wish I could have a moment to squeeze again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great reflection and reminder. . . I'm so in a hurry for my 5 lber to grow because such a small one makes me nervous and worry. But he's made it "without" my help to this point, right? Why can't I trust God now? I cried with you! They grow so fast. My Big Boy is blowing my mind with what he is capable of and how he has grown. If only time would hurry up and slow down. :)

    ReplyDelete