I just read about how much we celebrate the firsts in our lives, but rarely do we celebrate the lasts because we don't usually know when they are the lasts. Not so much in relation to death, but more so with simple, everyday things like in the life of a child. Isaiah often says "Sit in my lap" (translate: Mommy hold me) while crying when he's upset about something or, like he just did a few minutes ago, when he's in bed, but doesn't want to go to sleep. I'll probably never know when he asks to sit on my lap for the last time, or read "Sergeant Murphy's Busy Day" for the last time, or pick up Nate's sippy cup that he threw on the floor AGAIN, or smear Orajel on a sore gum, because someday, mom's lap won't be the place to run when comfort is needed, or the book of choice will be want to be read BY MYSELF, or table manners will finally make sense, and all those teeth will be in. There will be a last time for all of these things and many more, but I'll never know when they happen. Just something to think about. Treasure every moment.
Along the same lines, I've been doing a lot of thinking lately on what it means to be a stay-at-home mom. More on that at another time.
Here are a few treasures from our last week or so...
For some reason Nathan thinks sitting in this tub is the best way to play with the trains. I guess he likes to be in the middle of the action.
Here's Isaiah asking his Great-Grandma why her feet have wrinkles on them and telling her that his feet don't have "inkles"
Our library had a fund raising day on Friday. Isaiah asked for a balloon for himself and a football for Nathan. Nathan moved while the lady was trying to paint the football so she had to get creative. We decided is was some kind of bug or turtle. :)
Good thoughts, Sabrina. A great reminder to enjoy each day for what it is--an opportunity to be with and teach our kids--despite the annoyances along the way. Our kids are growing so fast!
ReplyDeleteI agree...great reminder. It's so hard to appreciate being a mom sometimes and to treasure all the moments...even the pull-your-hair-out not-so-fun ones. :}
ReplyDeleteOh Sabrina. I love this post. Thank you. I am anxiously awaiting your post on being a stay at home mom. Cheers.
ReplyDeleteOh, Sabrina - I just love reading your posts. What a great reminder to us moms.
ReplyDeleteWe returned home from our 9-hour drive to Myrtle Beach. I couldn't stop thinking about you and your little ones going to Canada. I am so incredibly impressed with you. 9 hours is definitely my limit.
-jo